*Free Delivery on all orders over £30*
Keep Your Dogs Safe from Deadly Spring Bulbs

Keep Your Dogs Safe from Deadly Spring Bulbs

Keep Your Dogs Safe from Deadly Spring Bulbs
March is pet poison prevention month. Spring is a time when there are lots of potentially harmful substances around. You need to be aware of what the common items are to help keep  your pet safe. Symptoms of poisoning can be very traumatic, for you and your pet, which is why it is best to do everything you can to create a safe home environment.

 pet poisons

 

Keep Your Dogs Safe from Deadly Spring Bulbs

We all love to see the flowers of spring bloom, but as dog owners, we need to be aware that some of them are poisonous to our furry friends. Spring bulbs like daffodils, tulips, hyacinths, and lilies can be deadly if ingested. So, as a responsible pet owner, we must take steps to prevent our lovely pets from getting poisoned.

In this blog post, we'll provide some helpful tips to keep your dogs safe from harmful spring bulbs. Keep reading to learn how to protect your furry friend from poisonous spring plants.

 

Know the Facts Before Planting

Before you plant any flowers or bulbs, it's vital to research which plants are toxic to pets. Daffodils, Tulips, Hyacinths, Crocus, Gladioli, Bluebells, Iris, Snowdrops and lilies are among the most poisonous for dogs. (This is not an exhaustive list!) Although they're considered beautiful and harmless by humans, all parts of these plants - their flowers, stems & leaves are poisonous, with the bulbs being the most toxic .

Keep Your Dog Protected

  • Dogs love to dig in the soil or to chew on things, so avoid leaving your dog unattended in your garden.
  •  Consider cordoning off any are where there are bulbs or harmful plants.
  • Think about planting bulbs in pots or containers that are out of their reach.
  • Keep your dog away from freshly mulched gardens or areas where you've recently planted new bulbs.
  • Keep any bulbs stored safe and away from any pets access.
  • Don't let pets drink water from vases that have had plants / flowers in.

Train Your Dog

Teach your dog basic commands like 'leave it' or 'drop it' and discourage them from eating plants. Reward your dog with praise and treats when they follow your commands. If you're not confident in your dog's obedience or are worried that they may eat something that's harmful to them, put a basket muzzle over their nose before you take them outside. You do need to train a dog to wear a muzzle so they are comfortable with them but they can be a really useful tool to help keep dogs safe. 

Recognize the Symptoms of Poisoning

Knowing the signs of pet poisoning can be a lifesaver. These plants - especially the bulbs - contain chemicals which upset the gastrointestinal system.  If your dog ingests any of these plants, it can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, abdominal pain, drooling, and even seizures. Also look out for lethargy and dehydration. In some case such as the consumption of Daffodil bulbs - it may cause low blood pressure and Heart problems. 

Take Action If Your Dog Eats Poisonous Bulbs

If your dog shows any signs of poisoning or you suspect that your dog has ingested any poisonous plants-  don't hesitate to seek medical attention and call your veterinarian immediately. The earlier you can detect and treat the poisoning, the better the chances of your dog's survival. 

Take your dog to the vet as soon as possible, and bring a sample of the plant that you suspect caused the poisoning. The vet may induce vomiting in your dog to remove any toxic substances from their stomach, followed by hydration therapy and/or medication.

 The joys of spring without worry. 

As you can see, keeping your dogs safe from deadly spring bulbs is easier than you think. By being aware of which plants are toxic, keeping your dog protected, training your dog, recognizing the symptoms of poisoning, and taking action if your dog eats poisonous bulbs, you can prevent them from getting poisoned. Remember, prevention is always better than cure. So, keep your dogs safe and enjoy the beauty of spring without any worries!

If you are concerned about your pet and would like advice, please call 01202 509000 or visit www.animalpoisonline.co.uk for more information.